Monday, July 11, 2011

Simply Fruity Pies

Hand Pies. That's what these babies are. Delicious. Easy. Addictive.

I think this could be used as a light dessert treat, but I used them as lunch and dinner items. I had two pie crusts in the fridge due to a forgotten project and I really wasn't in the mood for making a big pie. After seeing the homemade pop tart idea from Smitten Kitchen, I immediately knew what to do with my spare pie crusts that needed to be cooked soon. Without wasting another moment, I skipped to the kitchen, rolled out the pie crusts on wax paper, got my handy pizza cutter and cut the crust into nice rectangles (some triangles). I took some fresh blueberries, strawberries, and peaches out of my refrigerator, gave them a quick wash, then sliced them right over the crusts and made different combinations with the fruit. I found that my favorite was blueberry and peach.




I took a fork and closed the edges of my "pies" just like you would with a regular pie. I heated the oven to 350F and stuck the pies in on a nonstick pan for 22 minutes and waitied impatiently. Then I decided these would go nicely with the half circle of brie I had in the fridge with some extra berries. What a light dinner treat! I stuck the brie in with the pies and cooked it for 13 minutes. We had the leftovers today for lunch. Maybe next time I'll make my own pie dough instead of being lazy and using pre-made pie crusts. Oh well.


Simply Fruit Pies
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 Pie Crusts
2 handfuls of fresh fruit
Heat oven to 350 degrees F
Roll out pie crusts and make four cuts (2 horizontal, 2 vertical) on each
Wash fruits and cut into small pieces
Place fruit on one piece of pie crust and cover with another
Take a fork and press edges together
Prick a few holes in the top with a toothpick or fork to allow steam to come through, or else the pies will puff up and burst.
Bake on nonstick pan for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment