Monday, July 18, 2011

How to Season a Cast Iron Skillet

I've never done this before in my life until this morning. I've never even thought about doing this before. I guess I thought that when you buy a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet you won't ever have to season it again. Wrong! I wanted the shininess on the bottom of my cast iron skillet again. This trusty skillet has been through the ringer, especially since Dad likes to put water in it sometimes when it's still hot.

How to season a cast iron skillet:

Place an aluminum foil lined baking sheet on the bottom third of your oven.
Place the top rack on the top third of your oven.
Over medium heat rub oil (such as crisco, bacon grease, or vegetable shortening) on the inner bottom and sides of your skillet using a paper towel and tongs.
Place the skillet in your oven upside down and heat for an hour and let the skillet cool in the oven once the heat is turned off.

Repeat this process 3 to 4 times for best results.

*Note: Your skillet may appear to be very sticky once you've seasoned it, but this will wear off after a few uses. Just make sure the first few things you cook require a little bit of oil anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment