Thursday, July 14, 2011

Noodle Kugel

I'm not Jewish, but I sort of felt like it today when I prepared this noodle kugel. Okay, maybe not so much, but it sure was delicious. I look for strange recipes when I'm trying to figure out what I want to cook next. Sometimes I look at the skill level, though recipes aren't as intimidating as they used to be. Sometimes I look at the ingredients, and if there are too many ingredients that I do not have, I usually move on to the next recipe (unless it's Tiramisu or something wonderfulanddelicious like that). I like things like bread, pasta, cheese, vegetables, berries, rich flavors, coffee, etc. I'm not even as much of a meat eater as I used to be. I could probably be a vegetarian if my body didn't crave protein as much as it does. And I love filet mignon too much to ever completely give it up.

When I saw this picture on Smitten Kitchen's website I knew I had to make it.noodle kugel with cream cheese and cherries
via Smitten Kitchen


This could be served as a side dish, which is what I chose to do with it, or as the main entree.

Cream Cheese Noodle Kugel
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
The changes I made to the recipe are in italics, I'm sure both versions are great.

1 pound wide egg noodles
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 pound (16 ounces) creamed cottage cheese, full fat (I used 1%)
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used Splenda)
1 stick salted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the baking dish (I used unsalted)
8 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dried cherries (I used craisins)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a baking dish for kugel.

Cook the egg noodles in boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Beat cream cheese until fluffy, add cottage cheese and beat a minute more. Add sugar and beat for an extra minute.
Add melted butter and beat until well combined. Now add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, and craisins.
Gently fold in egg noodles and transfer to prepared baking dish.
Bake for one hour and then check to see if kugel is finished. If not, bake for an additional thirty minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment