Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles


Pumpkin waffles were a great treat this morning. I found that I like these waffles still a little bit doughy and it really brought out the right texture for the pumpkin puree. These would go great with an egg on top and with a cup of coffee. These were eaten very fast by every member in my family. The prep time took a little bit longer than I had originally expected, but it was so worth it. Also, I suggest making the full batch and using the entire can of pumpkin puree. I halved the recipe and now I have half a can of pumpkin puree in my fridge and I'm not sure what I want to do with it.


Pumpkin Waffles
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar or turbinado
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil for brushing waffle iron or cooking spray

Preheat waffle iron.

Sift brown sugar, flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and melted butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients until just combined.

With an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until white peaks form. Fold them gently in with the rest of the ingredients.

Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray and cook waffle accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment