Thursday, July 28, 2011

Homemade Caramel Sauce



I made three batches of caramel sauce today. The first batch was made with Splenda, the second with half and half, and the third was made just the way the recipe suggested. The batch with half and half was a complete flop. Right now it's in my fridge and the half and half has seperated from the sugar. The Splenda batch worked fine, though it did not have the deep amber color I was hoping for. My favorite has to be the batch where I followed the recipe to a T. So now I have three different batches of caramel sauce in mason jars sitting in my fridge. I'm not complaining at all.

This sauce took all of five minutes to make from start to finish.

I have big plans for this caramel sauce. My first plan is putting a little bit in a nice cup of coffee which is why I originally wanted to make this caramel sauce.


Hello sweet goodness.


Homemade Caramel Sauce
Originial Recipe from not without salt

1 cup sugar
2 T. corn syrup
juice from half a lemon
1/2 T. apple cidar vinegar (optional)
3/4 cup cream, warmed
1/8 salt
1/8 vanilla extract

On high heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan add sugar, lemon juice, and corn syrup. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture turns a dark amber color, until almost boiling. Turn heat off and add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. If the cream is not warm enough it will not mix with the caramel mixture, but you can put the heat on low and stir for a minute until mixture comes together. Move to a mason jar or a bowl and place in the fridge for a few hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment