Saturday, July 9, 2011

Jalapeño Cheddar Scones

I have a new love for scones ever since I tried the dreamy cream scones the other morning. While those are still my favorite, other members of my family prefer this recipe. My folks are spicy jalapeño fans. While I was up in Tennessee, my Aunt Jil gave me a few of her jalapeños from her jalapeño plant. There is nothing like fresh jalapeños. I halved this recipe but used one and a half jalapeños instead of just one. The jalapeños and the cheddar cheese gave these scones a wonderful flare and really hit the spot this morning when my taste buds were looking for something a little bit different.


What you'll need:
(if you half the recipe, use more than 1 jalapeño to give it more of a kick)
(*****It would be wise to wear gloves while dicing the jalapeños.)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 eggs, divided
1/4 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 small jalapeños, minced

Preheat oven to 400F.

Mince jalapeños and add in a hot skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Allow jalapeños to become soft, about 2 minutes. Add them into a bowl with shredded cheese and one tablespoon of flour. Add the rest of the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir to combine.

Using hands or a knife, break butter into pea sized pieces and incorporate into the flour mixture and mix until it looks like course cornmeal.

In a seperate bowl, lightly whip the eggs and heavy cream. Slowly add to flour mixture.

On a lightly floured surface, knead until a dough ball forms. Pat down into a 3/4 inch thick circle and use a biscuit cutter to cut into biscuits.

Place biscuits on a nonstick pan or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Whisk remaining egg and 1 teaspoon of water to make egg wash. Coat the tops of the biscuits with egg wash and cook for 25 minutes, or until tops are brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment