Monday, June 6, 2011

Candied Coconut Sweet Potatoes



These candied coconut sweet potatoes were so easy and so delicious. My folks said the coconut jasmine rice I made the night before went better with steak than sweet potatoes, but I disagree. I just love sweet potatoes! It doesn't need to be Thanksgiving for me to admit that. I also seem to be on a coconut freenzy lately, which is weird because I'm usually not a huge coconut fan. I used to say it was a "texture thing", but now I just think I was being picky and I didn't really know what I was missing out on. Well, now I'm a part of the coconut lovers club, unofficially.

Here's the recipe: From Our Best Bites
4 C. Sweet Potatoes (4 medium sized ones or 2 large sized cans)
6 Tbs. Sugar
6 Tbs. Butter (no margarine), softened or melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk (eyeball it)
1 t. vanilla

Topping:
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. Sweetened coconut flakes
6 tbs. melted butter

I usually bake my sweet potatoes the day before so it doesn't feel like I spent too much time on them in one day.

When using fresh sweet potatoes, preheat to 400 degrees and prick sweet potatoes with a fork or use a metal stick. Cook for 40-60 minutes or until tender. Once they've cooled, scoop out the insides and add into a mixing bowl.

Add sugar, butter, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla to the mixing bowl. Make sure butter is soft enough to blend well with the rest of the mixture.

Mash by hand or by electric mixter.

Spread mixture into a 9 x 13 inch pan.

Combine topping ingredients and spread over top of the mixture. I usually add a little bit more coconut once it's all in the pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment